Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Book Review - Twilight


After months of being hounded by every female in my family, I caved and broke open the cover of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series; the first book, of course. I was on my little vacation to California and found myself alone whilst the rest of my family slept in, all together in the living room. Across from me on Neal and Angie's shelf, I saw the first three books of the series, and I gave in to my boredom, picked up Twilight, and I read... and I read... and I read. I completely understand why women are so drawn to the story that Meyer has put together. She has somehow found a way to make a book enticingly descriptive and picturesque, and perfectly romantic for every female young and old, and at the same time keeping the book devoid of conflict and exciting encounters until the last few pages. Even near the end, right when I thought I was going to get a seriously manly portion of violence and fighting, Meyer somehow evaded the action sequece, and moved on to the conclusion. Though I found such an ending highly anticlimactic, I found myself, all in all, entertained by the first book, and I think I will continue reading the series. As my wife explains it, "The last book was the original story she had in mind, and she needed the first three books to set up the storyline." That sounds exciting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. You're hot
2. I love you
3. You loved Twilight and you know it.

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

Hahahaha. I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't really interested in reading them either until everyone I knew had read them and it was odd to see how many different kinds of people did like them.

puffbird said...

I read them only because I knew they were popular and wanted to be able to have intelligent conversations with people who had read them (as in, I wanted to be able to describe why I didn't like them)... but I was roped in. Yes, Meyer knows exactly how to write for women. And unfortunately, her prose repels most men. Steve only made it through five pages. So you made it much longer than he did. :)