Sunday, January 11, 2009

Make a Bad Steak OK

Ok, Kira tells me that I should share some of my cooking talent with everyone, so I think that I will just try to bring out the best of what I have once in a while so everyone might try, so this is not everything this time. I will post recipes once in a while, just like many other people do. Firstly, just know that I love to cook and mostly I just like to know how to cook things... like random things. So, sometimes these food blogs will be about something new that I learned to cook and little tricks here and there and sometimes they will be actual recipes that I like and sometimes mixtures of the two. Finally, I DO know all those wonderful OG recipes, but I cannot share them. I am sorry. But maybe some of the tricks I learned there will be included sometimes.

So, first off, Kira warned everyone about my steak cooking skills. Well, mostly, I just love cooking on the grill, but Kira and I do not have one, so when I am trying to cook steak, I have to resort to lesser means. So, mostly this is for anyone who doesn't have a grill. Also, I will give tips on the London Broil.
When I am coming up with recipes, by the way, I have no qualms with looking things up on the internet on how other people do them, but I rarely follow their recipes, probably because I have my own little talents, so you might think about that, cause everyone knows something that they like and might be good at that they can work into other recipes.

A couple of weeks ago, Kira was out of town and I went shopping and I found a sweet deal where I could get steak buy one get one free, so I did, knowing that it was of the cheaper variety of steak (but Albertsons cheap, not Wal*Mart. I won't buy their meat.) So, I had to use my little tactices for how to cook a poor steak on the stovetop.
First off, make a rub. Mix together spices that you like, and don't be afraid to try new ones because this is cheap steak you are working with and it helps to find a rub you like so that when you make not cheap steak later, it will be just that much better. I tend to like onion salt and cumin on my steak, along with a good amount of ground pepper. I add a few other things here and there too. It never hurts to marinate your steak, but I won't include that here. So, first get your steak marinated and rubbed (both optional).
To actually start cooking your steak, heat your pan (empty) on medium heat and then when it is hot zig-zag some olive oil onto it. Wait a half minute. Then add your steak. (Careful, cause the oil is hot!) Usually when cooking with oil on the stove you want to heat the pan and then the oil before adding your food. It works SO much better that way. You can always know if your oil is hot by dipping one finger in water and flicking it at your pan. If hot, you will know, but stand back when you do it. The biggest problem with cooking steak on the stovetop is that it is hard to get the steak to cook through. If you like it rare, then this is not a problem, but my wife likes hers well done and burned is not an option, so I have to cover the steak for a minute or so to let it cook through. After adding the steak to the pan, zig zag a little more oil across the top of the steak and let it sit until you flip it. When you flip it depends on how you like it, but it is crucial that you not pok or jab your steak, especially with cheap steak. Poking steak is a good way to make it tough. Once flipped, cook the steak to however you like it. If you like temps, then here:
Well done, >145; med 130-140; and rare <120. Or pretty close to that. Depends on how thick your steak and such.
Hope this works for people. Feel free to comment on advice and things or whether you try it out. This helps get started on my London Broil recipe, which is really good and improving all the time. I will master it soon, hopefully. I will put that in another post. Thanks!

2 comments:

Challis said...

Feel free to come make a steak for Josh and I. We pretty much resort to Easy Mac these days...

nephiblog said...

.... I want some steak. Next time I'm down there around dinner time.. or next your up here around dinner time. It's Tim steak time.